What are the top 5 remodels that get you the best return? According to a recent study by Realtor.org here they are. Although the study supposedly does account for regions and areas, number 3 on the list is Basement Remodels… In Austin? …go figure.
Top 5 Remodels
- Replacing your entry door with a steel door will yield you 116%
- Garage Door replacement
- Basement remodel – which I don’t exactly get, since Austin isn’t known for having basements considering that in most parts of the city, digging 4 inches down, you hit limestone.
- Attic Bedroom will get you 78% of your investment recouped
- Window replacements will get you 76% back. So use those Austin Energy rebates, and
What are the top 5 WORST ways to spend your hard earned dough?
Top 5 WORST remodels
- Sunroom Addition – with being able to recoup just barely 50% of your money back
- Home Office Remodel – anticipates converting a 12×12 room with built in bookshelves, cabinets, laminate desktop, computer workstation. Also, a rewire for electrical equipment, drywall, paint, trim and carpet.
- Backup Power Generator
- Bathroom Addition
- Roofing Replacement
So of course the question is, when would I tell my clients to do some of the least cost effective remodels? If it’s going to impact the quality of your life. If having a second bathroom will improve your day-to-day life and prevent you from screaming at the kids every morning, then for your sanity and privacy, get a second bathroom installed. Just know that you aren’t going to be getting back what you put into installing it.